Information technology basics or ICT basics involve the use of computer software and hardware to complete some basic tasks within the home or office environment. Basic use of information technology includes:
- The use of a computer system to perform essential tasks with the aid of an operating system. The operating system software helps you to literally operate your computer by performing such tasks as, creating files and folders, save, copy or delete files, clean up and manage your computer.
The use of application software to perform fundamental tasks. Examples of such application software are :
- Spreadsheets, normally used for accounting and bookkeeping.
- Word processors to create text documents.
- Database to store records.
- Presentations for meetings and conferences.
- The use of the Internet to browse and search for information.
- The use of electronic mailing system to send and receive mails both externally and internally.
- The use of common peripherals such as a printer or fax machine with a computer system.